Have you heard about it but I am sure that you face it and may be get affected by it some how
Ok, let me put it in different way
imagine you are the owner of some business and have some talented people working with you
Now you are getting a lot of projects and you are looking for qualified people to run them
Well, i guess you will not go for other than the options listed below
- You know that "Kamal" is a perfect network engineer and showed excellent technical skills
He did a lot for the company and he deserve to get promoted. Kamal is promoted to be PM
- Or, you will put an ad and ask for qualified project manager with 10+ years of experience as PM and you will find "Tareq" is the best of them so you hired Tareq as PM
- Or you will look for person among your team "Ali" who showed excellent communication & organizing skills, he is not the best technically but he can control and communicate to all of the stakeholders in your projects.
- Or you will go back to "Kamal" option but first you will give him a training on PM. In other words, you invested on him
So, which choice you find your self welling to pick up, but please don't go to option 1, it is the halo effect, promoting the most experienced guy technically to PM will lead to
- loose valuable resource in the technical domain
- might get poor project manger will result in unexpected bad results!!
you are thinking of hiring person from outside, ok, well, assume that you have a qualified person in your team who feel that you should have selected him, you will lose him too
So, for me I would like to go for option 3 or 4 and i liked 4 (my name is not Kamal and i am not any business owner :) )
So what do you think